Justice for the Sisters

1919644_810584278953462_2107331071875158395_n[1]Two Phoenix girls, Kayla and Hannah Diegel, were snatched right from their hospital beds by CPS in April 2014, after a fired GI Dr. from Phoenix Children's Hospital retaliated and called in CPS based off of false reports.

Imagine being a little girl with a feeding tube, and having a bowel impaction that's so severe that contents are coming out of your stomach the wrong way! Hannah was immediately hospitalized, but unfortunately her recently fired GI Dr. who's lack of care got him fired approx. 1 week prior, came on shift for a 7 day hospital stretch. Dr. Siaw reportedly said to the hospitalist on March 27th, and I quote "reported and documented that patient does not have any motility issues." However, a hospital report dating back to 8/20/2013 by Dr. Randal states"Hannah Diegel is a 9 year old female with a history of autism and gastroparesis/GI dismotility requiring multiple hospitalizations for fecal impactions with cleanout and cecostomy placement."

Both Children suffer from a myriad of health conditions including a paralyzed stomach, dismotility of the colon, Mitochondrial disease and Autism. In addition, Hannah had brain surgery at the age 9. The claim against the Parents is "Medical Abuse". Both girls have received these diagnosis's through many specialists, the confirmation of these diagnoses' included nuclear gastric scans, MRI's, and KUB x-rays showing 30 plus bowel impactions and 13 + hospitalizations. However, interestingly enough, an additional diagnosis added to Kayla, only at this last hospital stay, to try to justify their case (which contradicts the nuclear gastric scan,) was anorexia.

Suffering from nearly identical conditions,Kayla entered the hospital 1 week after Hannah, with a bowel impaction. The mother asked for a round table of doctors to discuss Hannah's long term plans, she asked for a second opinions, she asked to transfer hospitals but was refused, (by the doctor not by insurance.)

Ironically, Dr. Siaw was the ordering doctor for both girls feeding tubes to be put in, (Kayla's nearly 2 years prior.) He had confirmed that both girls had gastroparesis through a nuclear scan. He had ordered and prescribed, for Hannah to receive Golytely treatments from home, (a very strong hospital grade laxative.) He also prescribed daily laxatives for both girls for over a year as well as numerous hospital admissions per his signature or phone authorization for bowel impactions! This same fired GI Dr. is now in control of their medical decisions while the Diegel Family awaits their outrageous December trial date to refute the accusation against them.

Since being taken by CPS, both girls have been completely removed from their feeding tubes (causing extreme weight loss.) Both have been moved to a foster care home and are currently only allowed to see their parents once a week, for 2 hours. The girls do not have access to their rescue inhalers, nebulizer or epi-pen and the mother and father during their visits have noticed excessive bruising on the girls. This includes to be what looks like embedded fingerprint marks on Hannah's arm. Their mother a former preschool teacher is afraid for their lives and prays they are able to come home soon.

Just recently a ramily right organization VOCAL has stepped in to help this family. This is a crisis that needs to be addressed and we can hep do this by spreading the word.

#FreeKand H

No Parent should Experience this Emotional Pain and Trauma

On July 10, 2007 my children were taken due to false allegations made by a Bakersfield Memorial Hospital Physician’s Assistant. Kern County Child Protective Services and Kern County Child Sheriff’s Dept showed up without a warrant and removed my children from the home. They were taken to the local children’s detention center where they were imagined for signs of abuse. It was the recommendation of their very own doctor that NO SIGNS OF CHILD ABUSE were present, but yet the children were still detained from my custody.

There are also reports for two other medical professionals that state that child abuse was not a factor in my daughter’s injury. In 2009, during my battle to get my children back my daughter was injured at the hands of the foster parents. It is required by law that parents be notified of all emergencies with their children, but Kern County Child Protective Services DID NOT notify me of the emergency. My daughter showed up to a visit with stitches in the corner of her right lip and a bruise on her forearm, and also a bruise underneath her chin. No one was held accountable for the incident, and I had even informed my public defender and had photographic evidence of the incident.

On Sept 23, 2009: I was told that the children were supposed to be coming home. The home had already passed inspection, and everything was looking good. Visits were good, and I had done everything that I was supposed to. Yet, parental rights were terminated, and the children were freed for adoption. My public defender tried to force me to commit perjury on the stand, and I refused. I was assigned an appellate attorney that I never got to meet with or even so much as speak to and she did nothing to assist me in regaining custody of my children.

The adoption was finalized in Aug 2010 well before my appeals had been completed. Kern County Child Protective Services refuses to speak to me regarding the adoption claiming that it is a closed adoption, and that I cannot contact the children until they are 18 years old. Parents are not given a choice if the adoption will be opened or closed, and are forced to have no contact with their children until their 18th birthday.

My children are currently 7, 9, and 10 and I have had no contact with them since Nov 2009. No parent should have to experience the emotional pain and trauma that I have had to experience. I have reached out to local news stations, local congress members, ACLU, and other legal members and nothing has been done to hold Child Protective Services accountable. As a result of contact with Kern County Child Protective Services and Kern County Sheriff’s Department I have become fully disabled, and I continue to struggle with ongoing depression and panic attacks.

Arizona Mom needs help

On Friday, May 2,2014 at 3:18 pm, I went to pick up my two older girls, ages 10 and 13 from middle school. A case worker from CPS was there holding my children, in the office. She never stated why I was there. I later read my paperwork and found allegations of “Neglect”. Neglect from what specifically was not ever clarified.

1781097825_b607d8e234_n[1]I figured I had nothing to hide so I told her some old story, of a domestic issue in 2006.

I was told that:

  1. We could no longer live in our home
  2. My children could not be around their father
  3. I could not be alone with my children and
  4. My mother has to be around the children at all times.

I never did violated those terms but because the caseworker found me with my children and my mother at our home, where we were told that we could not live, the caseworker claimed that I did indeed violate the terms.

If I did violate them then why didn’t she say so on that particular day.

The caseworker never stated that my children could not not return there with my mother  and plus my husband was not there he was at work. My children were taken and separated.

(My son, 8 and is at a kids shelter, my daughter,10, is at group home all alone, and my 9 and 13 year old are together in foster care.

I did not violate. We just purchased  a very nice home. How can I put my story “out there” where others can read it and offer me advice? My children are all depressed and I’m desperate PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Bullied to death by Social Services

Bullied to death by Social ServicesHow a devoted mother with a loving middle-class family was forcibly separated from her son - with fatal consequences

Late morning, April 2003, and for the tenth time in two hours I called my cousin Pam’s mobile.

Again there was no answer, and I was beginning to worry. Earlier, I’d driven past her house and had considered stopping for a coffee — but it was very early, so I’d gone home.

Half an hour later, I’d called her mobile. Then her landline. Then I’d tried texting her. Nothing. For someone who always loved talking on the phone, it was unprecedented.
Proud of his mum: Jack today, with his mother's cousin Sally Jones. His mother Pam took her own life after a series of problems with social services

Proud of his mum: Jack today, with his mother's cousin Sally Jones. His mother Pam took her own life after a series of problems with social services

There was further reason for my fears. Since her teens, Pam had suffered periodic bouts of depression, and this had intensified recently.

A single mum, Pam was despairing at being parted — on the diktat of Social Services — from the son she adored, 11-year-old Jack. I knew I had to return to her house.

As I drove, the words ‘She’s dead’ hammered ominously in my head. I battered on the door of her house but there was no answer. Peering through a window, I saw Pam, motionless, on the sofa.

I strained my eyes, desperate to see a hint of breathing, but my tears blurred my vision.

I searched feverishly for something to break the window but the double glazing looked impregnable. I rang 999 and within minutes the place was screaming with police cars. Eight blows of a sledgehammer smashed the lock and paramedics rushed in, confirming what I already knew.

‘I’m afraid your cousin’s dead — must have been for hours,’ said one. ‘There’s no way you could have saved her even if you’d come this morning.

‘No, don’t go in. Far better you see her and say goodbye at the Chapel of Rest when she’s been tidied up and looking nice.’

In shock, I rang my family to tell them the news. Her mother, sister and I went to the home of Jack’s foster parents, and we broke the news to him as gently as we could.

Jack was distraught. He loved his mum and had always said he wanted to live with her full-time when he reached 18. We all stayed at my house that night to support him.

Amid our grief, we felt growing anger at the role which Social Services had played in Pam’s death.

Rather than support my cousin and help manage her (admittedly difficult) situation, we strongly felt they had made things much worse.

In short, we believed she felt persecuted and that this contributed to her suicide.

Pam and I had always been close; as children, we had often played together. Her father was an engineer; her mother, a secretary.

Pam was a year younger than me (I’m now 59), and we shared a zany sense of humour. We even looked rather alike, though she was prettier than me.

I was lucky enough to go on to study English at Oxford University, and later made a career at the BBC as a reporter, but even as a child Pam began to lose her way.
Pam taking Jack out for a trip when he was about 5. A single mum, Pam was despairing at being parted - on the diktat of social services - from the son she adored

Pam taking Jack out for a trip when he was about 5. A single mum, Pam was despairing at being parted - on the diktat of social services - from the son she adored

Her parents split when she was 11, and she moved schools several times. She was highly strung, and suffered occasional times of psychological turmoil, but nothing was diagnosed.

Her choice of men sometimes worried her family, too. But at 24, she finally seemed to settle with a steady boyfriend and moved to the Channel Islands.

When she became pregnant, however, the relationship deteriorated. Pam moved back home and was supported loyally by her mother and sister, who lived nearby.

Gemma was born in 1981 and Pam lovingly cared for her little girl. But she began, too, to suffer spells of depression and feelings of inadequacy. Sometimes she heard voices, and occasionally bouts of paranoia, which puzzled her doctors.

They labelled these mood swings  ‘transient psychotic episodes’ — a nebulous phrase. She was never diagnosed with anything as severe as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.

They prescribed various drugs, which often made things worse. Pam would often be woozy or confused as a result of the medication, which was intensely distressing for her and us.

Although several family members visited her regularly, and cared for Gemma if Pam had an episode of confusion, social services claimed she was an inadequate mother.
Jack was born in 1993. Because she was a vulnerable mother, Pam spent several months in a hospital mother-and-baby support unit, caring for him in a sheltered environment

Jack was born in 1993. Because she was a vulnerable mother, Pam spent several months in a hospital mother-and-baby support unit, caring for him in a sheltered environment

They put her under unnerving supervision, noting every time she was panicked or confused — failing to see that it was their dictatorial supervision which was heightening her troubled state of mind.

Finally, when Gemma was two, the little girl was taken away, amid absolutely heartbreaking scenes.

Pam never saw her daughter again. Understandably, it fuelled her lifelong fear of social services.

Pam tried to get on with her life, but in the late 1980s began a relationship with Jason — an unpredictable drug-user who periodically beat her up. Her family were horrified.

She became pregnant again, and Jack was born in 1993. Because she was a vulnerable mother, Pam spent several months in a hospital mother-and-baby support unit, caring for him in a sheltered environment.

Jason visited only periodically, and he had little contact with Jack, which eventually dwindled to nothing.

Once home on her own, Pam’s panic attacks and depression intensified. She became convinced that social services were plotting to take Jack for adoption, as they had Gemma.

Social workers handled this spectacularly badly. They were mostly young and childless, and would often visit her nervously in pairs, as though she were a dangerous animal.

I was there once when they visited, and noticed how cold and accusing they seemed — and how intimidated and jumpy Pam was in their presence.

They criticised minor slips, such as when she didn’t immediately spot that Jack had a dirty nappy. Any mother would have felt intimidated — but with Pam’s history she felt overwhelmed.
Pam was allowed to see Jack, supervised, for just six hours a week because social services claimed she might be a danger to him

Pam was allowed to see Jack, supervised, for just six hours a week because social services claimed she might be a danger to him

A few months later, two-year-old Jack was placed in foster care ten miles away, where he received little stimulation. I collected him regularly for Pam’s access visits, and noted that he was usually watching TV (which maddened Pam, as she loved taking him to play in the park).

When he broke a leg in the foster family’s home in unexplained circumstances, the incident was brushed aside as an unavoidable tumble.

And because Pam’s condition remained ‘unchanged’, social workers judged that she was still an unfit mother. Not once did they take note of Pam’s large, loving and respectable family unit, who were a constant presence in her and Jack’s life.

And so, heartbreakingly, Pam was allowed to see Jack, supervised, for just six hours a week because social services claimed she might be a danger to him. This was despite the fact that she’d never shown the slightest aggression towards him and he always begged to be with her.

Worse was to come. Six months later, Pam was informed that her visits would be reduced to just three hours a week. Social Services didn’t even deign to give her an explanation.

Distraught at her lack of contact with Jack, she believed — with good reason — that Social Services were reducing her time with her son in preparation for having him taken away full-time. She was near-suicidal with despair.

It was down to Pam’s own mother, now a determined pensioner, to spend thousands on a last-ditch fight through the courts to try to prevent Jack being taken into full-time care.

To Social Services’ amazement, the judge — impressed by the level of family support from her mother, sister and me — gave Pam’s mother short-term custody of Jack, allowing mother and child to re-integrate gradually. It was the news Pam had been waiting for.

The following year, the court returned Jack, by now a bubbly five-year-old, full-time to Pam. She was overjoyed.

With Jack to herself, Pam was the happiest I had seen her. She was exhilarating company, with a ribald sense of humour. She was also a talented cook, who adored making dinner for her friends.

Sadly, Social Services continued to pursue her. They frequently called unannounced and monitored every minor problem.

Pam tried desperately to carry on. We all saw that, despite her problems, she and her son had the most powerful, loving relationship. It’s a tragedy that Social Services could never see this for themselves.

In 2000, social workers decided that Jack should once again be fostered during the week, citing Pam’s continued panic attacks. Again, they couldn’t see that they themselves were fuelling her panic.

Jack was sent to a kindly foster family nearby and allowed to see his mother for a few hours at weekends.
Today, Jack is a delightful 21-year-old who remembers his mother with affection and love

Today, Jack is a delightful 21-year-old who remembers his mother with affection and love

He was forbidden to stay overnight unsupervised — not even, to Pam’s fury, on Christmas Eve, when she longed to see the look on his face when he woke up and saw his Christmas stocking.

Then, in the autumn of 2002, and frustrated by what we all thought were the social workers’ unreasonable demands, Pam disobeyed their instructions and took her son for a day out in London.

But what began as a happy day went wrong when she suffered a panic attack, becoming breathless amid the throngs of shoppers. Jack, by then a capable ten-year-old, coped sensibly, finding a cafe where she could recover.

But the damage was done. Social Services found out and applied for a full custody order, claiming that Jack was at risk.

It was a turning point. With the court case scheduled to take place in April 2003, Pam was miserably aware that she was about to lose her son. She made a string of anguished calls to her psychiatric unit’s crisis team, but no one helped. The night before she died, the phone line was unmanned.

And this time, unusually, she did not ring her mother or me to say how desperate she felt.

An inquest several months later decided she had killed herself with a massive overdose.

Sifting through her possessions after her death was heartbreaking.

We discovered 1,550 capsules of 18 types of prescribed drug, and scores of desperate text messages stored on her mobile, one explaining that she was taking her own life as she felt utterly alone and dreaded losing her son.

After her death, we tried to remember the good things about her life.

Today, Jack is a delightful 21-year-old and we see him regularly. He remembers his mother with affection and love.

‘She was a great Mum,’ he says. ‘She always encouraged me and made sure I finished my homework. She fought to make sure I got into the best senior school nearby.

‘After her death, my extended family constantly helped me. I went to a good university and I’m hoping to work in ophthalmology.

‘I like to think Mum would be proud of how I’ve turned out. The way she brought me up is definitely part of that.’

He also recalls those hard days when social workers penetrated their happy family bubble.

‘I know Social Services have an important job to do, but I feel they often don’t realise how their behaviour affects the families they’re dealing with. They were cruel to my mum.’

‘A few years ago, because I’d turned out so well, Social Services asked me to be a poster boy for social work in this area. I refused, furious that they were trying to take credit for how I’d turned out after all they’d put us through.’

To avoid further pain, we did not pursue a formal complaint against Social Services — but they knew all too well what we thought of their role in it all.

But Pam’s death robbed a young boy of the mother he adored, and left her family angry They failed to see that she had the loving support of an extended family.

We have always accepted that anyone who has problems like Pam needs to be watched carefully. But rather than help with her problems, social workers micro-managed, bullied and unnerved her. They substituted understanding with heavy-handed surveillance that only intensified her troubles.

We can never forget their failure to accept their role in triggering her attacks, and their glaring absence at her moments of greatest need.

A spokesperson for the County Council involved, which is in the Midlands, said: ‘We are unable to comment on this individual case.’

Some names have been changed.

A version of this column originally appeared in:

CPS forcing special needs daughter to live with sexual abuse

wbCHILD-420x0[1]I'm battling the abusive situation my daughter is in. I used to, but no longer have sole custody. I still have my parental rights, I do get some unsupervised visitation.

I haven't been able to save her. There are things thwarting me such as the DA and Cps allowing/forcing my special needs seven year old daughter to live with her identified abuser/prime suspect in an once active police case of child sex abuse, compelling a child to take lewd photos, possible production/distribution of child porn, possession of child porn.

I have evidence which supports my claims, including audio files. In police custody, there are lewd photos from August 2013 of my 7 year old spreading her labia with one and sometimes both hands, yet Dhs says she took the photos, there is a forensic disclosure where she said her dad, the identified abuser wanted the photos taken. Despite this the DA won't press charges.

I'm supposed to have a hearing in family court April 15th because I've had to hire an attorney, but it's been rescheduled twice already due to local court clerk laxness in fulfilling their duties.

For two years, I've been trying help my little girl. I want her home with me, or at least in a safe place, getting counseling.